Breathe Easier with Better Indoor Air Quality
WAYS TO IMPROVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY
1. AIR FILTRATION / PURIFICATION
Basic, 1-inch air filters in your HVAC system can trap larger dust and dirt particles. Efficient filtration can trap bacteria, virus-carrying small particles, mold spores. For even better whole-home filtration, the Carrier Infinity Air Purifier captures and inactivates select airborne viruses and bacteria*.
Additional steps you can take to improve air filtration include:
- Run your indoor furnace or fan coil on constant fan
- Inspect/replace your air filter routinely
- Have your HVAC system cleaned and maintained semi-annually by your local Carrier HVAC contractor
Indoor air pollutants come from a number of sources – pollens, molds, viruses, dust mites, animal dander, carbon monoxide, tobacco smoke and volatile organic compounds from common household products.
Improving ventilation is the next step:
- Use available exhaust fans when cooking, showering, cleaning or using other household chemicals
- Contact your local Carrier dealer about whole-home ventilation systems – Heat Recovery Ventilators (HRVs) and Energy Recovery Ventilators (ERVs) that efficiently bring fresh air inside and exhaust stale air outside
3. HUMIDITY CONTROL
Most people know that high humidity can cause discomfort in the hot, summer months. But according to the CDC, dust mites thrive in 70% – 80% humidity and temperatures between 75° – 80° F. High humidity also provides an environment conducive to mold growth. That’s why maintaining relative indoor humidity between 40% – 60% is recommended to help keep dust mites and mold at bay.
To control humidity in your home:
- Run the air conditioner when it’s hot and humid
- Talk to your local Carrier HVAC contractor about whole-home humidifiers and dehumidifiers.
High-end AC systems like the Carrier® Infinity® air conditioner with Greenspeed® intelligence allow you to select a specific humidity setting for moisture control
If you have anyone living in your home considered vulnerable to the effects of poor indoor air quality, or if you just spend a lot of time indoors and want to breathe a little easier, your Carrier dealer is an excellent resource for finding a solution.
*The Infinity Air Purifier has demonstrated effectiveness against the murine coronavirus, based on third-party testing (2020) showing a >99% inactivation, which is a virus similar to the human novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19. Therefore, the Infinity Air Purifier can be expected to be effective against SARS-CoV-2 when used in accordance with its directions for use. Third-party testing (2012, 2007) also shows ≥99% inactivation for the type of virus that causes common colds, Streptococcus pyogenes and human influenza. Airborne particles must flow through your HVAC system and be trapped by the Infinity filter to be inactivated at 99%.